The Best Method Of Termite Control For Oklahoma City Homes
April 15, 2022 - Termites
Having a termite problem in your Oklahoma City home is the easiest way to devalue your property. Some pests spread diseases, while others bite, sting, or cause pain in other ways. Termites create problems by eating their way through your home. The worst part about them is that they create their destruction in areas of the home where you will not notice, so by the time you realize what is going on, it may be too late. Learn about the termite caste system, why they love to destroy wood, and how partnering with the Oklahoma City pest control experts at Brandley Inspections and Pest Control is the best way to rid your home of these pests and keep them out.
About The Subterranean Termite Caste System
Subterranean termites are social insects that live in colonies. These colonies consist of three separate castes. They are:
- Reproductives: These termites are called swarmers and are responsible for mating and populating the colony. They are the only termites with wings and will leave the colony to form a new one. The king and queen are members of this group. Seeing reproductives in your home is a tell-tale sign of an infestation.
- Workers: This is the largest group in almost any termite colony. Workers forage for food and take care of other nestmates by grooming them; they also repair the nest.
- Soldiers: These are the warriors of the colony; they defend the nest from enemy attacks. They have huge armored heads and large, sharp mandibles that make them well-equipped for combat.
There are usually between 60,000 and two million workers in a termite colony. Multiple colonies can even exist in the same structure, so there could be millions of termites living in the walls of your home without you even knowing.
Why Termites Love To Infest And Destroy Wood
Termites in Oklahoma City are constantly using their saw-toothed jaws to bite off small fragments of wood from the structure of a building. Wood contains cellulose, which is an effortless source of nutrients for termites and provides them with what they need to survive. They create tunnels, called mud tubes, to reach food sources and protect themselves from open air; these tunnels can severely damage homes and cause them to collapse, leading to financial loss for the homeowner. A small colony can eat 1/5 of an ounce of wood per day; colonies grow quickly and can go unnoticed for years, which is why it is important to detect a termite problem before it is too late and find a professional termite control company to deal with it.
Naturally Effective Termite Prevention Tips
An unnoticed termite infestation in your home will lead to serious problems with your home’s structure. Keeping these pests from getting inside will prevent this from happening. The following tips will make your home less attractive to them:
- Avoid water accumulation near your home’s foundation, as they are attracted to moisture.
- Divert water away from your home with downspouts, gutters, and splash blocks.
- Reduce humidity in crawl spaces with proper ventilation.
- Seal cracks and crevices in your home’s foundation.
- Eliminate wood contact with the soil and keep a one-inch gap between the soil and wood parts of your home.
These tips could save your home from a termite infestation, but if they do manage to get inside, the best way to get rid of termites is by partnering with the professionals at Brandley Inspections and Pest Control.
The Most Effective Form Of Termite Control
The professionals at Brandley Inspections and Pest Control know how to get rid of termites and keep them from coming back. Our pest control in Oklahoma City for termites involves looking for signs of activity and inspecting for conducive conditions that this pest thrives in. Once the pest is eliminated, we like to educate our customers on how to maintain pest-free environments to prevent future problems with termites so they do not return. We believe in honesty and completing jobs we commit to and are prepared for whatever job comes our way. Contact us now to deal with your termite problem and let us make your home termite-free.