How To Completely Get Rid Of Cockroaches In Your Oklahoma City Home
May 15, 2022 - Cockroaches
People rank cockroaches right up there at the top as one of the most hated household pests across the country. Who can blame them? They are creepy-looking, have disgusting habits, and are difficult to get rid of from your home. To make matters worse, they can be a health risk to you and your family.
If you suspect you have a cockroach infestation, contact your local Oklahoma City pest control company. Don’t try to go it alone with a do-it-yourself project. Give us a call here at Brandley Pest Control. Our trained professionals have the experience and knowledge to implement a safe and effective cockroach control plan.
Characteristics Of Common Cockroaches
Here in Oklahoma City, the four types of cockroaches you are most likely to encounter are German cockroaches, American cockroaches, brown-banded cockroaches, and Oriental cockroaches. Let’s examine their characteristics and learn how to identify them.
- German cockroach: These cockroaches are approximately ½ to 5/8 of an inch in length and are the most common of the four species. They are tan to light brown with two dark stripes that run parallel down their backs. You will typically see these in bathrooms and kitchens.
- American cockroach: These are the largest of the bunch, coming in at 1 ¼ to 2 1/8 inches in length. They are reddish-brown and have a figure-eight pattern on the back of their heads that’s yellowish in color. Basements and around plumbing are where they will usually hang out.
- Brown-banded cockroach: You’ll find these roaches in cabinets and elevated rooms in the house due to the fact that they like a drier and warmer environment. They are brown in color and ½ inch long. They get their name from the lighter-colored bands on their wings.
- Oriental cockroach: These shiny black cockroaches prefer to dwell in sewers and tend to come up through the drains of your sinks or bathtubs. They grow to a length of ½ inch.
The ability to properly identify these cockroaches will be a great help when contacting your local Oklahoma City pest control company. Any information you can provide will be helpful for evaluation, inspection, and eradication.
Why Cockroaches Are Considered So Dangerous
Cockroaches can pose significant health risks to your family. Due to their unsanitary living environments, these pests carry all kinds of pathogens and bacteria. They can spread diseases like dysentery, E. coli infections, cholera, and salmonellosis.
Cockroaches often travel throw garbage and sewage as they move around, and they pick up pathogens from these environments that they can bring with them wherever they go. As cockroaches travel throughout your home or business, fecal matter and urine are left in their paths. This includes kitchen countertops, food pantries, and bathrooms. People susceptible to certain allergies may also experience flareups.
Call The Pros At The First Sign Of Roaches In Your Home
Contacting a professional exterminator at the first sign of cockroaches in your house is crucial. There are products on the market, such as traps and sprays, designed for cockroach control. But many times, they can turn out to be futile and costly in the long run, as they don't address an entire infestation. Additionally, some cockroaches are becoming resistant to many over-the-counter pesticides. Brandley Pest Control can get it done right the first time. We have treatment and prevention plans to fit your needs and budget.
Five Naturally Effective Ways To Prevent Roaches From Returning
There are measures that can be taken around your home that can be beneficial in preventing cockroaches. In general, a few simple inspections and good housekeeping practices can go a long way:
- Moist and damp places are magnets for cockroaches. Try to eliminate piles of rotting leaves, logs, and compost around your property.
- Don’t leave food packages open or pet dishes full of food for long periods of time.
- Inspect packages, furniture, and other items before bringing them into your home.
- Check that your windows and doors have tight seals and look for any cracks and crevices around your house. Seal openings with caulk or weatherstripping.
- Make sure all garbage and trash cans that are stored both inside and outdoors close tightly.
Keep in mind that while all of these tips may help keep cockroaches away, they don’t guarantee a home completely free of cockroaches. Calling in the professionals at Brandley Pest Control is your best bet for effective cockroach control.