If you've been waking up with insect bites on your arms and legs or you smell a sweet, musty odor like cinnamon that's gone bad, you may have bed bugs infesting your home. Fortunately, there's help: professional Oklahoma City pest control companies such as Brandley Pest Control are ready to aid you in your battle against bed bugs.
Signs To Look For Before Bringing Furniture Into Your Home
You need to know how to look for bed bugs before you bring any new or new-to-you furniture into your home. You'll need a bright flashlight – the flashlight on your phone will probably do the job. Carefully inspect the furniture, looking at all the seams and screw holes for evidence of bed bugs.
Here's what to look for:
- Dark brown or black spots, which are bed bug feces
- Creamy white eggs, which are about 1/16 inch long
- Yellowish-tan exoskeletons, which bed bugs shed five times as they mature into full-grown bed bugs
- Nymphs, which may not be immediately identifiable as bed bugs, as they're so small
- Bed bugs, which are ¼ inch long, brown, oval, and very flat – unless they've recently fed, in which case, they're redder, longer, and swollen
If you see any of the above signs, do not bring furniture into your home.
What It's Like To Have A Bed Bug Infestation In Your Home
Having a bed bug infestation in your Oklahoma City home can be a source of high anxiety. It's hard to go to sleep knowing that there will be bugs crawling on you night after night.
Here's what you can expect if you have an existing infestation:
- Bed bug bites will be in a straight line or tight grouping of three or four red, swollen, itchy welts. They typically show up two to three days after you've been bitten unless you're more severely allergic to their saliva, in which case, they can show up faster. About 30% of the population is not allergic to bed bug saliva, so not everyone with a bed bug infestation will notice these welts.
- A sweet, musty odor will be present. Some people say it's like smelling cinnamon that's gone bad. The smell is caused by bed bug pheromones, which they use to communicate.
- Bed bugs will start showing up in places other than your bed. You'll find them behind things hanging on your walls, inside electrical outlets and light switch plates, in your carpet, in your clothing, and in your other personal belongings.
- You will likely begin to notice blood stains and dark smears on your bedding and other upholstery.
The sooner these infestations are dealt with, the less time bed bugs will have to reproduce and spread throughout your home. A prompt response can help ensure a more successful elimination of these Oklahoma City pests.
Why It Is So Hard To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs On Your Own
A recent survey of pest control professionals showed that 76% believe bed bugs are the most difficult pest to eliminate. Knowing how to find bed bugs isn't enough. You also need to know how bed bugs are spread.
Bed bugs are the ultimate hitchhikers. They crawl up on your shoes, purse, briefcase, or clothing and catch a ride to your home. You can pick them up anywhere people gather, such as friends' homes, schools, office buildings, libraries, retail stores, daycare centers, churches, and public transportation. They're everywhere.
Bed bugs are hard to get rid of because they're so resistant to most of the treatments we've come up with to fight them. They can also live for up to a year with no food. Even if you moved out entirely, if you moved back in inside that year, many bed bugs would still be alive and waiting for your return.
Bed bugs are also incredibly prolific. A single female can produce 300 nymphs in just three months, leading to infestations with tens of thousands of bed bugs within just a few months.
You also can't find all the places they hide. Trained professionals know exactly where to look and what materials to use to eradicate bed bug infestations in your home.
Turn To The Professionals As Soon As You See A Bed Bug
Knowing how to prevent bed bugs isn't enough, unfortunately. Sooner or later, you'll miss one, and then you'll have to battle against them.
As soon as you see any bed bug activity, you should call for professional bed bug control in Oklahoma City. Brandley Pest Control is ready to come to your home and fight the good fight on your behalf to get rid of these pests. Contact us now for your free inspection and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Oklahoma City.